Saturday, August 21, 2010

What favorite programs did you or your parents listen to faithfully back in the days of radio?

Does anyone still have one of the original radios from way back? My aunt gave me one, but I ended up getting rid of it. :( It was a floor model. Beautifully designed.





What favorite programs did you or your parents listen to faithfully back in the days of radio?
that brings back memories


if you missed the programs in the week they where all repeated on sunday afternoon.what a great sunday entertainment,beats anything you get on tele.nowadays.


rays a laugh


the navy lark


round the horn


archie andrews(we used to listen to a ventriloquist on the radio)


lost in space


the goon show(brilliant)


wakey wakey


and many many more,great days


ther was no arguing about what program to watch in them daysWhat favorite programs did you or your parents listen to faithfully back in the days of radio?
Hi. What days they was, couldn't agree with you more. deserving points. Dick Barton special agent made me live in a world of my own. Ted Ray greatest ad libber in his day, Tony Hancock tears of laughter. Thanks for the memories.

Report Abuse



Edgar Bergen and Charlie McCarthy. A ventriloquist on the radio?, never thought then how bizarre that was. I also remember listening to the ';fights'; or boxing matches. Many of the other programs that others have already mentioned the ';shadow, ';lone ranger'; and Jack Benny Show with Rochester. No old radios around here ';dang it.';
.Sorry, I can't remember. I do remember listening to the radio in the kitchen while washing dishes. Mom always liked the soaps, but I am sure dad listen to the news. Sister liked the cartoons when she cleaned the kitchen. Oh yes, I do remember daddy listen to the Jack Benny show. We had two radios, one in the kitchen and one in the living room. My sister and I each had a Transistor radio.These were run by batteries, in the summer I would take mine on the front porch and listen to 50;s music. This question brings back a lot of good memories. Poppy
I used to listen to Biggles and The Argonauts club. Both children's programs back then in OZ





My parents would listen to the murder mysteries in the evenings. We had no TV growing up so we would put blankets on the lawn at night and listen to the radio under the stars.





Thankfully one of our local radio stations is replaying the old radio plays 10:30 in the mornings and then later in the evening, and I love them. Sooo melodramatic. LOL
My Mother had to work to support us. ~~~~


I remember my Aunt, whom I spent the summer with, listening to 2 soaps on the radio. One right after the other. One was '; Stella Dallas'; and the other was called ';Lorenzo Jones'; I believe.


That was back in the 1930's something. ~~~~


I'm not a lover of antiques so I wouldn't have kept a radio if I had one.


I just happen to like new %26amp; modern. ~~~~


Guess it's because I had hand me downs most of my young life. And I was grateful at the time to get them.


You can believe that. ~~~~
Tarzan King of the Apes. it was on at 5pm Mon - Fri, (in Australia) I loved the way it began with Tarzan calling the apes, and mum always turned the radio up loud while he called to let me know it was Tarzan time.


My husband has a few old ordinary type radios he's a bit of a hoarder,
Jack Benny, Bob Hope, Grand old opry, Lawrence Welk, Music live from New York, inner Sactum, I'm sure more will come to mind as we did not have a TV until 1954.


I do remember that the radio was darn near as big as the icebox and had a large round dial you spun around to locate the stations.


Great memories, Jackie, thanks for the blast from the past.
Sunday evenings after supper. Jack Benny, Our Miss Brooks, Johnny Dollar, Fibber McGee and Molly, The Shadow. Oh man, I wish I could remember them all. They were great, then radio, and civilization in general, was ruined by television.
I listened to Straight Arrow.It was about an Indian,and used a special arrow. You could get his Inginuity cards out of Nabisco Shredded Wheat . I had 3 sets. Inner Sanctum,with the creaking door. Like of Riley,with Gilder Sleeve.
tom and jerry. not tom and jerry the cartoon. but tom and jerry from the farm house in alabama. they were gay farmers. weird show, but entertaining.
believe it or not we were not like the waltons -- i can not even remember having a radio in those early days!!! day believe in early to bed and early to rise!!
Oh, I remember . . .The Shadow, The Lone Ranger, Amos and Andy, and Archie Andrews, Big Band music and so much more - no old radio died !
My grandmother had a floor model Motorola. We used to listen to many old time programs like Inter Sanctum'; before she got television.
The Shadow, Grand Central Station and around Christmas Billie the Brownie, he read the kids letters to Santa.
My parents were big fans of The Archers. The show started in 1950 and it is still going strong today on BBC Radio4!
Grand Ol' Opry.
i believe there was one called hancocks half hour with tony hancock the comedian
I have to say it was the Dr.Demento radio show came on every sunday,,made my night listing to it.

No comments:

Post a Comment