Saturday, August 21, 2010

Parents with straight A or good grades child or children? How did you raise your child to be smart?

I just want to know.... Is it nature or nurture?Parents with straight A or good grades child or children? How did you raise your child to be smart?
Well, when I was really little (like, two or three years old) my mom started to teach me math, and helped me read. My father would read to me in bed, and during the day I would learn math. We did it so much, it became a fact of life for me. But you have to be kind, and make sure that they know that if they answer a problem incorrectly, they aren't in trouble. But it does help to have a little natural smartness, but that doesn't account for 100% of their intelligence. Make sure that your kid knows that they have to try their hardest, but you won't be mad at them if they don't understand.





This is all coming from a 13 year old, so I remember those times well... :D Hope I helped!Parents with straight A or good grades child or children? How did you raise your child to be smart?
Everything is nature AND nurture, not one or the other. But I would say the key thing is stress the importance of and encourage reading from day 1. Introduce them early to books, read to them and let them play with the books. Get educational toys that help the kids learn abcs and numbers and colors and stuff. And just keep encouraging it, keep exposing them to it.





You cant teach ';smartness'; so to speak, your IQ is your IQ regardless. But you CAN teach the desire to learn and do well in academics.





That being said, academically, dont hold your kids to standards they cant meet. I was a straight A student for the most part, and it really hurt when my parents accused me of not paying attention and would ground me when I was trying as hard as I could. Learning is far more important than any letter grade ever will be.
I think my parents raised me to be smart with a lot of encouragement, praise, and sort of mimicking what they did. My mom always told me that if I was motivated to learn and to do well in school I could go anywhere I wanted to in life.





I started reading at a very early age because I wanted so badly to learn because my mom made it look so fun. As soon as I started reading - I couldn't stop, it's one of my mini - healthy addictions. My mom said that if we would go to the grocery store and there was this whole aisle for books and sometimes that would be the first place I'd head to while my mom was getting some sweet treat (they were next to the books), she said I would always come running up to her with my little feet asking for one or two books to take home and read. She said if it meant that she'd have to take a certain can of food out like beans or something like chips or crackers - she'd do it. Me, reading and building my knowledge was much more important to her than a can of food here and there.





It looks like her method worked because when I was in the 1st grade we had to take some sort of profiency test and it said that my reading level was three or four grade levels ahead of me. The only thing that wasn't so good was math, but I'm getting better at it with tutoring.





We did do educational stuff but we did it in a fun way. My mom would take me to art museums and any sort of little plays or musicals. My dad, not minding the drive would take me to the Science Center and we would spend literally hours in there.





Learning was always something that my mom tried to make fun in our house so that I would like school and not find it so tedious to go to everyday. They made learning activities that were fun and they helped me every step of the way.





So I guess that's how I get good grades, mainly my parents support. I don't exactly have all A's - all A's and a B in math that flunctuates quite a bit to a C, but their encouragement makes me feel good about myself.
Well I have a child who gets really good grades and one that does not. We sit and do homework together when we get home at the dining room table. I think its both because I am there to encourage both of them. The one with bad grades still wants to go to college but he gets really easily frustrated. I just try to be supportive and help them esp when they get confused or frustrated and teach them they can do anything they set their mind to.
i think its defiantly both . for our household there was no pressure to have good grades meaning i never made it a most haveon topp of everything elsee .it was more you keep good grades and mom will handle the rest meaning as long as he keept at least a b average he didnt have to take a part time job ar a sport if he didnt want too his time was his time .Its sond liek i raised a lazy child but in fact he has put more into his studies .
You can't raise them to be smart. They're either smart or they're not. My sister and I were encouraged exactly the same to read and do well in school. We were both read to the same amount. We had the same teachers and schools. My sister gets Cs and Ds. I get straight As. Just keep on encouraging.
My son wants to be an Airforce pilot so he is going to need great grades. Maths he's a natural. English he needs help and we focus on that while trying to research planes, Ben 10 and anything he is interested in. Science is always fun so I'm sure he'll be ok then.





Make learning fun.





If they have difficulty with one particular area find some way to fit it in with what they are interested in.
it is both. what i do is make sure i am on top of there school work everyday. make sure they study and read. you can have them read about the world and things just going on in life. i was lets just say not a good student, but once i got older and in college i was an A studant because i studied and learned above and beyond.
I think that it is both. But, even a child that may have a hard time with school work can make good grades if they work at it. It comes easier of course with kids that are considered ';smarter';, but discipline plays a big role as well.


Luckily my kids were born with my brain cells and not their dads...;) j/k...


kind of!
I think its a combination of the two. My son is very intelligent and a straight A student. I never put any pressure on him to be this way, but I do emphasize the importance of an education and I encourage him to always do his very best.
I had a 4.0 when I graduated college.





I'm pregnant and I asked my mom what she did.





She said, ';I read to you all the time';.





That's it?





That's it.... the rest was just good temprament.
It's in the genes.





Just joking, he's too young for school yet, we'll see.





PS: Forcing kids to learn will NOT make them smarter, it will just put them off studying!
definitely nurture
I think its both. you have to encourage them to read, learn. That's what we did.

No comments:

Post a Comment