Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Parents what would you say in a letter to a teacher that was teaching Evolution?

If you found out that your son or daughter was going to be taught evolution in their science class and you wanted to write a letter to the particular teacher, what would you say?





Would you agree or disagree to having your child be taught evolution? Why? Explain.





Thank you for all of your opinions!Parents what would you say in a letter to a teacher that was teaching Evolution?
I would thank them for doing their job as a Science teacher - Evolution is a fact (it's the exact a to b to c to d etc... 'nitty gritty's' that's the ';theory'; part of it).Parents what would you say in a letter to a teacher that was teaching Evolution?
Wow, DUMB answer. NO FACT WHATSOEVER!

Report Abuse



I would thank them!!





Firstly, regardless of belief, keeping religion out of public schools. How do you think kids who are a different religion or no religion feel being taught the way of other religions? I feel that is offensive and clearly crosses the religion being kept out of the state line.





Secondly, for being reasonable and looking at all the scientific, indesputable truth that organisms need to evolve to survive on this ever changing planet. There are fossils in the rock layers, carbon dating, we've seen certain species evolve over our lifetime, common sense, comparing the similaries between different members of a species or different species, etc.





By the way, for all you who think there is only one way that would support your god, why can't he have created evolution?? Organisms would die out without being able to adapt to the world around them, couldn't it be a god given gift?





School is for learning and science, NOT religious teachings that quite frankly have little basis. Public schools should not in any way be religiously affiliated.
It is a scientific theory, so why should there be an issue with teaching a scientific theory in a science class? Why should the teachers be forced to teach something that isn't a scientific theory, but rather a religious belief? Should we then teach every single religion's creation story as well? Because that is the slippery slope that this begins to go down. And there is no problem with having a personal disagreement with the theory, but you know what, it's a personal disagreement, not one that needs to affect the entire science curriculum nation wide. If you want intelligent design taught, go to a christian school. That's what I would say.
Thank the teacher for doing their job. Evolution is every bit of a valid theory as gravity in the scientific world. There is undeniable proof. A current time example? Why does the flu virus keep coming back after we vaccinate? Because it is evolving. A strain with a mutation that allows it to survive is what is left to continue on. Now we have a new vaccination to create. As Dobzhansky said ';Nothing in Biology Makes Sense Except in the Light of Evolution'; Your child will have a more difficult time understanding things like genetics and ecology if they are not exposed to evolution. Also, if evolution being against religion is your fear, there are people who have their religion but accept evolution as the scientific theory it is. The source below is a National Geographic article addressing this. Please let your child learn about this important scientific theory.
In most cases it is not the teacher's choice what is taught or not taught in the classroom. If you have a problem with the curriculum then your letter needs to be addressed to your child's principal if it is a private school or the superintendent if it is a public school. I have worked in school systems that have avoided the issue of evolution and those that have addressed it. My job as the teacher is to inform the students of information and make sure that they understand the curriculum. The curriculum has already been written by educators with years of experience and knowledge about age-appropriate lesson planning. If your child's curriculum includes evolution, then it is because the school board (Who are in most cases elected officials) decided that was what best represented the views in your community.
I would not be against my child being taught evolution, as long as it is not presented as a fact. It's called the ';Theory of Evolution'; for a reason, and telling someone it's a fact doesn't make it one. The fact is that science has never proven it to be true. Actually, the more scientists try to find support for that theory, the more questions come up, and the less true it looks.





If schools want to teach the arguments in favor of evolution, then they ought to teach the arguments against it as well. There are MANY. If they don't present all the evidence on both sides, then they are not respecting the various religious affiliations of the students.





Regarding what I would mention to the teacher - I have a few books in my home that have quotes from respected scientists who doubt the theory of evolution, stating why. I would schedule a meeting with the teacher to respectfully share this information, remind him/her of the responsibility to teach accurate information, and encourage him/her to present the evolution as it really is - an idea that cannot be proven.





My next step would depend on the response I get. Bottom line, I would not allow my child to be taught something in school that contradicts what they are learning at home. We are Christian, and believe in Creation.
If this was in the UK, then NOT teaching evolution would be a cause for concern, and a teacher teaching creation outside RE class would be considered a nutcase.





People in some answers seem to have no grasp of the meaning of the word ';theory';. In everyday language, it means conjecture, guessing, but in scientific terms it means something else. The scientific word for conjecture is ';hypothesis';. Is it called the ';hypothesis of evolution';? No. Because in scientific terms, ';theories'; are tested mathematically, or by some other proof, or by observation or just plain logic. The ';proof'; of evolution as a theory lies in 150 years of observation, and of logic used in making sense of real evidence. It is far more than simply guesswork.





People who know absolutely nothing about scientific theories reject it off-hand purely on the basis of the word ';theory';, but would the same people reject the THEORY of Universal Gravitation? Or Pythagoras' THEOREM?
Your state board of education decides what your teacher will teach. The teacher really has no say in what will be taught in the classroom. If you want to write a letter, it should go to the school board, not the teacher.





Personally I would want my child to be taught evolution because (and I say this as someone who actually understands evolution) it is science. Creationism is no more science than astrology or necromancy or alchemy, and I wouldn't want my child learning those in school either.
They are taught the *theory* of evolution; the students are not forced to believe it. Teachers make it very clear that you must learn it, not believe in it.





Whether you want your child to believe it, to not believe it, or to figure it out on his or her own, wouldn't you want your child to understand it, first? How can you expect someone to form an educated opionion about a topic that they have been shielded from?
Come on... are you joking me? There is scientific proof that evolution exists!!!! A few hundred years ago the catholic church killed a guy for heresy because he could prove that the Earth revolved around the sun and that the Earth WASN'T the center of the universe which is what they were teaching everybody. The Catholic church refused to admit they were wrong until 1999.
I would thank the teacher for teaching such an important and interesting subject.





I would not be a happy camper if I had a child who was being taught about creationism instead of evolution.





I think the main problem with creationism is that its defenders are ignorant of what evolution really is. Most of the creationists I've heard of seem to think evolution means we ';came from monkeys'; or that we ';came from chimps';. They clearly don't understand the principles...
I would write to that teacher and tell them that since my student attends public school I have no right to assert a particular religious belief on the rest of the class.


I would tell the teacher if I was a truly concerned parent I would instruct my student about our family's beliefs at home or in a private school that eschews our beliefs. I would not waste the teacher's time with a controversy where none exists.....





What will be next...not teaching about dinosaurs (some do not believe they existed) not teaching about microscopes, atoms, biology, chemistry...etc...Many religions have feelings about those items as well...That's why there are private schools and homeschools
I wouldn't say anything. Obviously the parent in question has chosen to educate their child in a public school setting where the theory of evolution is part of the curriculum.





Now, said parents are very welcome to pull their child and send them to a private or religious school, but until then, take your child to church so they can get both points of view.





This whole argument is growing Verrrrry old.
I would write them a letter congratulating them for going over such a touchy subject. I would hope they would be knowledgeable enough in it to help the student really understand whats behind its theory. I think evolution is such an interesting topic, and touchy at that.





People should know what it is, evolution is always a possibility.





That's my opinion. Given my complete thumbs up for the thought of evolution, I am prepared for the thumbs done, from some closed minded people =)
I would thank them for teaching something that is founded in scientific proof.





Cavemen are real. Surely that is indisputable.





Current man, does not look like cavemen. Which means...we have evolved.





That in itself, proves the basis of evolution. I won't say we started as monkeys. But evolution does occur.





Therefore, it's 100% legit to teach.





(because, you know.....it makes more sense to believe a cosmic and omnipotent being slammed everything together and created reality....than to say a bunch of atoms slammed together and created reality....last I checked, we can prove atoms.....)
i would simply ask that he/she would leave god and religion out of the topic.





i wouldn't want my child to be ignorant to the subject, but i also wouldn't want my child to not believe in a religion.


something i learned at a very early age was that religion and sciences should either coexist perfectly (like god caused the big bang, and one day to him could be like millions of years to us) or that they should never intermix (study both, but don't question how they disagree with each other). the question that made it all clear to me was dinosaurs. were do they fit in with religion? you've seen their remains, how do you not believe that they didn't exist? but if they did, then on what day were they created, because i don't remember anything about them in the bible?





a believe in god is something personal, and every person has a different belief. but any religion was written by man, and mankind has made many errors, so logicaly speaking, any religion has room for errors. and it's hard to argue with evolution, especially when there is so much proof of it. but religion is something that you don't need proof of.





so to anwer your question, i would just ask that the teacher not say that religion is false, and that god doesn't exist. but i would also encourage the teacher to keep teaching evolution. and make sure that you teach your child about religion and faith at home.
';Thanks for teaching science in the classroom.





Love,


Parent';





The second you teach Creationism/Intelligent Design (call it what you will), in America, you're breaking the first amendment, as long as you're in public school. If your, child is private school, go nuts, that's where your money is going, do what you please.
I can certainly understand your concern. I'm no evolutionary biologist or anything, but in my opinion, the principles of evolution don't necessarily contradict our faith. What happens is uneducated and misinformed people who are against the faith try to use it to ';disprove'; the existence of God -- and that is just so stupid to me!





Here's my advice: Use the internet to seek out maybe a very good Christian, private high school in your city or elsewhere (for instance Episcopal High School in Houston would be a good one). Most of these schools the faculty are Christians (in many cases they actually have to acknowledge their faith before they are hired). Seek out a faculty member who teaches biology, and seek their council about your concerns. They may or may not teach the principles of evolution, but they likely have dealt with this concern (from within) and can give you intelligent and relevant advice about your concern.
Dear Sir/Madam,


I am writing to congratulate you on your great lesson plans on the subject of evolution. Now she has learned about evolution she can pass all her exams and if you can keep up all your good work she should pass the next test A*.





Yours Sincerely,


(YOUR NAME HERE)








Science lessons are for Science.


RE is for god.
As Matt said, I would tell them they need to emphasize the fact that its a theory. And hay, you people who are saying youd thank them you arent helping answer the ? because she is obviously concerned that her child is being told this stuff she doesnt believe in. We dont teach Christian 101 to you so we have the right to complain!
Thanks, Mr/Mrs/Ms Science teacher, for being scientifically accurate. Why not throw in climate change while we're at it? It's my son/daughter that will have to take care of the environment since my generation hasn't.


*not that i'm a parent, but that's what i'd say, because it's the TRUTH, PEOPLE*
Dear teacher, thank you for having some common sense.





If you do feel the need to complain because of your narrow minded opinions, you do not write to the teacher unless you know she is doing this without the authority of the school.
I would say ';Thank you for teaching my son/daughter the best explanatory framework we have for understanding most biological facts we see. It's been well supported through 150 years of reasearch and has no credible scientific criticism.'; Something along those lines.
I wouldn't actually write a letter to the teacher because it's not like a teacher is the only one who can teach. I'd tell my child what I believe and tell him/her that I don't believe that man came about from monkeys by chance and a series of explosions. I'd teach my child what I know to be right.


I think my child can be taught evolution vaguely but not as a fact. Teachers can teach about atheism and religion in the classroom as long as they don't say that either is fact. Everyone is entitled to their own opinions.
Evolution is only an opinion, teachers are just supposed to teach what is in the curriculum, each School Boards Curriculum should be available online, and you can find out if that is under the curriculum. I myself do not belief in the teach of something that is nonsense and unfounded, I am sure they could find there time to teach something else that is factual and worth learning. Good Luck, I never remember having to learn that in science, sounds a little far fetched to me....
As to Gypsy, evolution is NOT founded in scientific truth, that is why it is called the ';Theory of Evolution.'; Even Darwin, before he died, wrote a letter stating that he doesn't even believe for sure all that he taught, that is just a theory.





I am so priveliged to be able to send my child to private school this year (his first year). I hope that we can afford to do this every year. However, I would have to tell my child that we believe that God created the earth and all that was in it and he said that it was good. Therefore, we do not believe in evolution. I would have to tell my child that the people who wrote the science book do not believe in God and are searching for other answers to their questions. I would tell him that evolutions is just one way that some people think the world and all that are in it could have come to be.





I went 2 years to a ';Christian'; university and our science profs. taught evolution there. We argued points with the prof. to the point where he had no more answers to fight back with and eventually told us to knock it off, that we were being overbaring. Can you believe that? Instead of admitting that what he was teaching is wrong (especailly at a so-called ';Christian'; school!) he couldn't fight back anymore so he told us to knock it off. And I guess b/c he has his PHD and we were mere undergrad students, we just had to bow down and take him as gospel.





Anyway, sorry about my rant...I wouldn't write a letter to the teacher. She/he is teaching what he has to. I would write a letter to your principal, superintendant, the school board and the state. Make phone calls to your representatives. Writing a letter to the teacher isn't going to solve anything. It may even make things worse for your child. He/she may take things out on the poor kid b/c he has complaining parents.
Here is EXACTLY what I would say:





You are teaching my child something that is a theory, not scientific truth. I don't want her to be near your false teaching and I want her somewhere else during these lectures.





Now, I will not force my religion upon you, but I know it is correct by FACT. Everything I see in this world, and one day you will know too, that you were wrong.





If you refuse to do with my daughter as I say, I will enroll her in a different school, or consider home schooling.





Thank you,


___________








I DISAGREE and I disagree because no one knows if it is fact. I have true evidence of my faith, from healing an arm before my eyes to the hummingbird in my yard. This is my fact.





Scientists make up what they say is true. A lot of time, also, they say ';possibly'; or ';maybe';. PLUS a lot of things they base their things of off are from the Bible. Other religions do this, too.








Made my point. Ready for thumbs down. I know what I am doing, and that is that.





I hope to see you in Heaven.
I believe that evolution should be taught in school. Do I believe that man came from an ape? No! Why are apes not evolving into men? I do think there is an amount of evolution that takes place mainly from adapting to ones environment. Why not teach some religion origins in school, since it has been written about so much. I would let my child be taught evolution, but I would talk to them about it and religion at home afterwords.
As a teacher...parents certainly have an option





You can opt for a different set of lessons. Similar to sex ed classes. You can conscientously object to what is being taught. You can't make a teacher NOT teach the subject...but you can opt your child out of it.
Totally against anyone teaching my children evolution. I have 3 teens in high school and I've told them numerous times if the teacher ever tries to teach them evolution to tell the teacher my mom says we don't come from apes and then go to the office and call me.
Dont--just talk to your kids about it. say, do good on the tests and pay attention only to get a good grade. Dont take i up with the teacher. Most teachers dont even want to teach it. It is the criculum so they have to.





Just tell your kids that it is totally bogas and they should believe it.

No comments:

Post a Comment