Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Parents: How would you feel if you child wanted to marry someone of another race?

I am not asking this question to offend anyone. I am currently in an interracial relationship with a hispanic (mestizo hispanic) guy, and my parents aren't to happy about it. Even though he is not illegal and is very well educated (master in engineering) I just wondered how other parents would react. Please be honest. Thanks!Parents: How would you feel if you child wanted to marry someone of another race?
We have indicated to our child that Race is not important to us. It is far more important that people be intelligent, inquisitive, caring, stable and share his values etc than belong to some socially defined, correct race.





Here is a distribution of Haplogroups in the World.





http://www.scs.uiuc.edu/~mcdonald/WorldH鈥?/a>





If you look at the World Haplogroups, you will see there are no pure races. People in India and Iran share common ancestors with Norwegians, Brits, French and Italians. Italians and Greeks also share many ancestors with Jews and Arabs too. All humanity according to recent genetic studies share a single common male ancestor who lived in East Africa around 75,000 years ago. This is so recent that biology has not had a chance for us to be very different, except superficially in how we look.





Now keep in mind that race is not the only issue you will face. cultural, linguistic and religious differences play a major role in how people live too. This will require some give and take and you will have to work on this all your life. I am not trying to scare you. I am in an interfaith, inter race, inter language and inter ethnic relationship for the last 27 years. Both of us had parents who were understanding. They loved us and our child very much. My wife's parents were both Western European Christians. They may have been a little skeptical about the relationship in the beginning. However, after we married, I have felt accepted by them as well as my wife's siblings. I love them very much too. My wife and I are happy and our child is sensible, intellgent and well adjusted.Parents: How would you feel if you child wanted to marry someone of another race?
It would be a bit concerning. I live in a diverse area, and I am very up on all the subcultures within the community that is somewhat stereotypical.





Ultimately I would hope they would find someone who really loved them, would never hurt or abuse, and would always be there for them in their time of need.





Realistically I think interracial is a bit more stressful in general. Some people love the stress, others not so much. There is that old adage, that opposites attract, and then they attack. I have seen this play out with interracial families where each family invariably has that person or small group that are the most racist people in the world, and will do anything to see failure, even after the children come. I hate this, as kids don't get to pick their family, so once they get here, it's time to stop bugging and being nasty.





I believe as time goes by, more people, including these ones in these families will chill out. Of course that stress can be within the same race, as some family can turn against anyone. I think it's just easier to turn lose on other races. Just ask a group of black women what they think about a desirable black men dating outside the race, and you will often hear some really nasty things. These attitudes carry.





I don't hear or see a lot from whites and hispanics. It tends to get more controversial as you move up the line. I find blacks and hispanics to be less likely to get together, and even less likely an asian and black to get together. There are many out there, but not that many.





If my kids came home with someone of a different race, I would keep an open mind. If I saw something I didn't like, just as I would with someone within the same race, I would voice my concerns. I would be looking for that controlling quality that leads to trouble.
I am married to an educated black man, and at first my dad disowned me. My husband and I met in the military, so when I brought him home to my all white community it was not as smooth as would have hoped for. My mom was accepting, and understanding, but it took my dad two years to even call me and want to be part of our lives.. however I was really hurt, and almost hesitant to let him in, but my husband convinced me it was okay, because our parents grew up in a different generation, so all we can do is be patient and educate them with time that interracial relationships are normal as any other. His parents on the the other hand were not very accepting at first either.. to them it did not matter that i was educated, nice or successful, it just mattered that i was not black.. the best advice I can give, is respect your parents beliefs, and in time they may grow to respect yours.. but you cannot force them to accept it, they have to be willing to.
My mom wasn't thrilled with me dating a hispanic.. she was glad nothing too serious ever happened.





she told me if i ever married a black guy or anything like that she'd kill me..





anyway, its all good because i fell in love with someone she kind of accepted...





race isnt the issue. lol





--------------------------------------鈥?br>




the truth of the matter is though if YOU'RE In lOVE and you want to be with them, your parents will have to learn to accept it. YOU will wkae up with him everyday.. YOU might have kids YOU will spend forever with him,. not ur mom and dad.





so just be happy.
If one of my children (when they grow up more) find them selves involved with a person of a different race, I will accept it. If that person makes them happy, then I would support it. I am white, and am married to a man that is half indian.


Anyway, times have changed and they will continue to change through out the years.


Good luck to you!
I am from the South, and race does not matter to me in this caes. What I want for my sons (3 of 'em) is a good girl who treats them well and makes them happy. I know that it is a longshot, but one can always hope for the best.





Good luck
A masters in engineering???? He could be from another planet. Somewhere along the way this guy did something right? Parents are gonna pick apart any boy or man that comes home with their daughter. No man is ever good enough. Do they dislike all hispanics or just this one?
The only thing that would matter to me is that my daughters are happy and taken care of. They could find a guy that is pink with yellow polka dots for all I care, as long as he is good to her and treats her the way she deserves.
I wouldnt have a problem with it at all. As long as their partner treated them well, showed respect and love at all times, I would support the relationship. Its up to them to decide if they are compatible or not. Not me.





I'm an Aussie engaged to be married to a Malaysian man.


I originally feared that my own family would reject my partner, because (the men in my family) are bigots %26amp; racist, but to my surprise they kept their thoughts and opinions to themselves, and welcomed my partner with open arms. Hallelujah!
well im a white woman and im with a black man now for almost 3 years. and my mother loves him she is happy when im happy. I was with a white man for 11 years and she didnt like him at all
It would not matter to me. Race don't have anything to do with it. Do what is best for you.
*** You mean someone whose not a part of the human race? That last I checked, Hispanics are still human, though sometimes I wondered about my mother-in-law from my first marriage.
Honestly, I wouldn't be happy either initially. However, I could get happier the more I got to know the person and if they made my son/daughter happy I'd probably love them!
If he treats you well and makes you happy, then they should be extremely happy for you.
since my kids are half east indian and half czech I'd be thrilled if they married outside their ';race';. Otherwise the pickins' would be very slim indeed.





Follow your heart. They'll learn to love when they meet their grandkids.
I would probably be upset in the beginning but in the end there is nothing I can do about it.
it does not bother me at all. I just want my kids to be happy with the partner the choose


maybe your parents won't care either as long as he is good to you and treat you well
as long as they treated them well, id be happy for them.
I wish for my children to be happy.
its hard but i would be happy for my girls either way.
I live in NJ, USA and would have no problem with it.
I would be fine. my kids can marry any person they love as long as it's a healthy relationship. race is of no concern
I trust her judgment.
We would not have a problem with it
Many parents will go ape over such a thing. In that case, you must consider the following items and approach them honestly and realistically. They are worried about the other person for what they consider good reasons. Some of what they wonder or worry about in regards to the other person is:





1. How they conduct themselves as a person.


2. How they treated my family member.


3. Their personal views in regards to everything from religion to politics, work, ethics, etc


4. Their family background.


5. Their past, as in any legal troubles, convictions, marriages, kids, etc.





Look, forget the thing of someone having a masters degree. At one time that meant they were educated. That is not necessarily the case anymore. Heck, if you have the money, you can get your cat a degree anymore. Do not mistake educated for smart or intelligent. A person can have a doctorate degree and be as dumb as a post. One of my aunts is a professor and about as stupid as a brick. She thinks she is smart and in some ways probably is. But what she is smart at serves few purposes. She still cant figure out to come in from the rain. Having a good education is not a sign the person does have character or morals either. Look at political figures and CEO's if you need to be convinced.





Also realize that many stereotypes are largely based in fact. Like it or not, that is true and must be dealt with. No amount of trying to avoid that or hating it will help change anything.





Many people have very good reasons for their views and the attitudes and the thoughts they have. Simply writing it off as back woods or ignorant or so forth will not help you or they understand or make progress. You must come to understand why the other person is seeing your potential mate as a bad choice and work to disprove their fears. Simply saying they are wrong or stupid or hicks will not accomplish that.





I would also submit this to you. M.L. King said he dreamed of being judged by his character not his skin color. This is reasonable. But, many of all races are unwilling to see or admit when it is their character or lack of it which they are judged upon and which keeps them from being seen as worthy of the position, respect, trust, etc. They instead wish to yell racism, sexism, bigot, unfair or so forth. If your potential mate is like that, the family will have a hard time accepting them and reasonably so.





Honestly, I would suggest that you sit down with your family and with your boyfriend. It will be hard, but let them all air what they think. I mean, I as a father want what is best for my kids and I do not have to be nice about it. Even if your family members each are a total ***, it does not mean that their concerns or thoughts are without merit or that they do not have reason to expect some honest answers to their concerns.





You cannot make me like anyone. I have a right to hate anyone I choose to hate, with or without merit. It does not have to make sense to you. The best way to combat my dislike of you is to prove my concerns and fears about you to be incorrect and wrong. If you cannot or will not do so, you can bet my dislike of you will not dissipate and will probably grow stronger.

No comments:

Post a Comment