Saturday, August 21, 2010

Another Hypothetical Parenting question?

If you knew your child was doing something illegal (small stuff, petty shoplifting, smoking pot, etc), could you call the cops on them or would you handle it yourself? If you answer call the cops, do you really, wholeheartedly, 100%, without a doubt, would do it, or deep down, do you know it's all talk?Another Hypothetical Parenting question?
First offense is handled in family. Period.





Any subsequent events WILL be handed over to the law. And no that is not all talk. I follow through. I don't make threats, I make promises. And sometimes those promises involve some really hard choices and tough love.





I don't care how ';small'; the infraction is. The law is still not to be broken.Another Hypothetical Parenting question?
Nope, small petty stuff would be handled by me until they were 18. Calling the cops on your kids under 18 is only going to get them sent to juvenile facility. That's where the ';real'; bad kids are. I don't want my kids learning to be criminals because that's exactly what's going to happen. I'm talking small petty stuff here, if your kid is robbing houses, trafficking drugs, stuff like that is different. but every kid is going to dabble in the small things, I'll be damned if I send a good kid to a juvenile facility over stealing a pack of cigarettes only to have him come out with the learned knowledge of a real criminal.
I would handle it myself at least for the first time or so. I don't want my kid's future ruined because of childhood mistakes. Once you have a record you can't get a job anywhere. Now if somehow I could get the cops involved just to scare her without her actually being booked and taken in front of a judge then I would do that. That's what my dad did with my bro when he started sneakin out at night and stuff like that.
Well, I actually did this! My 6 year old ( I know kinda young for this whole thing but its relative), was stealing at school. Stupid things, things we even had at home. I talked to her and her teacher about it, thought it had stopped. One night I had her at the grocery store, I was paying and she was near the gum, I saw her try to put a pack of gum in her pocket. SO, instead of going straight home with my grocery's I stopped at the police station and let an officer talk to her and make her a little afraid. She totally thought I was going to leave her there. I was fine with her thinking that, I wanted her to know I meant business. She has never done such a thing again.
it always starts small then gets worse. first i would handle it w/in the family then if i have the money...boarding school, if not......i would lock her in her room lol...no realyy wouldnt call the police on her unless she was being very dangerous, dont wanna screw up her future cuz she likes a thrill...she will just be heavily guarded
Well my brother in law is a policeman, so when my son 21 now got into some troulble about 8 years ago. He was caught writing on a neighbours wall, we got him pretend arrested. It scared him, the policeman (who was a friend) took him to the neighbour, made him apologise and wash the paint off.





He never got in any serious trouble after that.
If my kid was breaking the law I would definitely call the cops and have them go for a ride in the backseat of a police car. I know someone who did this with their eleven year after the kid stole money from him, straightened him right out.
I'm with Tex on this.





Once is a mistake that can be forgiven and handled ';In da family';....after that, it's not a mistake, it's an offense and it needs to be handled sternly and seriously.
I would try to handle it myself. If that didn't work, I would 100%, without a doubt call the cops and have them take them to jail for a night or two without bailing them out.
I would handle the first offense. IF there is a 2nd offense, the police would handle it. Trust me, my kid will prefer the police.
I dont call the cops ..I hate cops. I dont respect the laws. Stealing is wrong ..so we abide by that ..not because of some law ..just because its not the kind of people we are
I would deal with it myself. Bringing the cops in would just make it worse.
My kids would get ONE shot to straighten out on their own, then they'd be turned over to the authorities.

No comments:

Post a Comment