Tuesday, August 24, 2010

What age can someone legally overide their parents decision on medication?

I live in the UK btw.


Say if my parents didn't want me to be medicated for a health condition, what age can my decision overide theirs?What age can someone legally overide their parents decision on medication?
I am not sure what it is in the UK, but it is usually 18 in the US, and it is 20 in the country I live in now. It is usually called the age of consent, and it is usually the age when you can drink, smoke, vote, drive a car, get married without your parents' permission, etc. Sometimes those are different, but sometimes they are the same.





It appears to be 16 in the UK, by the way, according to the link below. The link says that you have to appear to be making a mature choice for a doctor to follow your instructions over your parents'. You should consider that.





Let me give you some advice. You should tell your doctor that you want to give informed consent. He, I think, will then be ethically obligated to explain to you what is wrong with you and why he is medicating you. If you listen to his explanation and you agree, you might be able to accept care. I would also suggest that you write down your reasons for seeking and accepting care and send copies of them to the doctor, I dont know... do you call it a council??or local government? or other notable person who might help you or take your side... a teacher maybe? The first thing your parents will say is that you are whacko, so show your doctor and others that you are not. If you write it down, you will not have to scream and cry.





Oh well. Good luck. Your parents probably want what is best for you. Do not forget that.What age can someone legally overide their parents decision on medication?
I have a feeling that you might want birth control? There might be free clinics or other ways of getting that without using a family doctor. That is usually true because birth control medication has social benefits and is not dangerous if used properly.

Report Abuse



Age doesn't really matter...if u have the funding to get medicated.


I say until you have the money to get medical help then I think it's OK.


What I don't get is that your parents are supposed to support you with that condition whatever it is.





The best thing to do is save or get a job or ask for the government's help
When your an adult,18.

No comments:

Post a Comment