Saturday, August 21, 2010

Christian Parents: How would you react if you found out your child converted to a different religion?

To christian parents, if you somehow find out your child converted to a different religion such as wicca/buddhist/atheist/etc.





-How would you treat them?





-Who do you blame?





-What would you do?





-What would you think?





-Would you still love your child?Christian Parents: How would you react if you found out your child converted to a different religion?
My family and I are Wiccan. May I still answer?





My husband and I both grew up as Catholics. We converted to Wicca about a year ago. Since then most of our family have been supportive EXCEPT my mother and father.





My mother is afraid to step foot in my house. She calls me weekly to see if I have changed back to Catholicism. When I tell her no, she spouts off how I am ';worshipping the devil';. When I try to explain to her that there is no devil in the craft, she says she doesn't want to hear it and hangs up.





She tells me she still loves me but that she doesn't support my views. It hurts me to know how she feels and she won't even listen to my side of it. She chooses to listen to the stereotypes instead of the truth and that really irks me.





Now on the other hand, if my children ever came to me and told me that they wanted to be Christians, I would support them 100%.Christian Parents: How would you react if you found out your child converted to a different religion?
Obviously this child is making this decision when he has the knowledge and the ability to make decisions because he is a certain age.As a parent, you have shown him your religion and has made your child experience it as well. However, the child may or may not enjoy that religion and its beliefs. I wouldn't treat them any differently because it is a decision they have made.They shouldn't be discriminated because of what they believe or decide.I wouldn't blame anyone because there is nothing to blame. I wouldn't treat or think of them differently. They may have different beliefs but that child is still your child no matter what. You shouldn't stop loving your child for what he/she believes in.
I wouldn't treat them any differently.





I wouldn't blame anyone.





I would try to respect the religion (ie: Not serving pork if my child converted to Islam). I wouldn't try to convert them back to Christianity, but by the same token, I would ask that my child didn't try to convert me either.





What would I think? It depends on the religion involved. I would take it better if my child converted to a recognized religion: Buddhist, Islam, Jewish, than if my child became a Scientologist, for example. There is a difference between a religion and a cult.





Would I still love my child: Of course!
I have a great deal of religious tolerance, and if my child wants to convert to something that they believe, then that's alright with me. I would try to be supportive the best I could, but I live in a part of the US where a different religion than Christianity is definitely frowned upon. Like I said, it's a life choice, and there's really no individual to blame. Then again, blame isn't the best word. As for what I would do, again, I would support them, and as different religions keep growing in this time and age, so does the tolerance. I would have some disagreements, being as the chances are it's going to be a different religion than my own, but I would try to hold back any opinions. I grew up searching for religion, like for a month I was Jewish, then I tried Atheism, then Catholicism. My mom didn't like the idea of me being or talking about myself being any of those religions, so I was limited. I don't want to do the same for my child. And I don't care if my child is a Satanist or an Atheist, I will always love it.
First of all, this is a dumb question. Of course you wouldn't treat them any differently; you wouldn't blame anybody; you would go about your same routine; you would think he is still my kid no matter what; you would still love your kid, of course.





Also just to let you know, usually by the time this even happens, they aren't children anymore. They are kids and/or teens and a lot of times they are already into adulthood.
I would still treat my child the same.I would blame nobody a religion is a choice as long as they practice a belief it is their personal choice.I would do nothing about it I would think they made a choice based on what they believed in and yes I would still love my child I would love my children no matter what path they chose in life.
-Treat them the same as before.





-There is no blame in this situation, as it's not bad.





-I would do nothing but support them in their choice





-I would think that they obviously have found more faith in the other religion, or better enjoy the doctrines and would be proud that they made that decision themselves.





-There is very little that would make me stop loving my child, religion isn't one of them.
i would treat him the same way i always did





blame isnt the right word, i would want to know why he changed his religeon and i would wish that he would be christian





just talk to him, try to understand his point of view and his beliefs





i would think that i did something wrong along the way





of course i would, i would love him no matter what. unconditionally. it wouldnt change the way i felt about him one bit
I would treat them the same, why wouldn't I?


I wouldn't blame anyone, it was their choice.


I wouldn't do anything besides support them in their decision.


I would probably think ';Why are they doing this';. And leave it at that.


And I would certainly still love my child. Doesn't the Bible say to love everybody no matter what?
-How would you treat them? I would ask them how and why they did it and if they'd like to come back, but i wouldn't erase them my life. They're stilly my child.





-Who do you blame? I would be upset, but nothing drmatically cahnged. It wouldn't really severly hurt me.





-What would you do? Check my first answer





-What would you think? My first answer also covers this one





-Would you still love your child? HELL YES!
i think religion is stupid and it ties people into a way of life. if people genuinley believe, this is fine that is just my opinion on religion. however i think when people have been brought up muslim or whatever, they can be brainwashed. so my children will be brought up agnostic with no influence on their religion, so they can choose themselves.
let them find thier way in life. just love them and be there for them. talk to them about thier choices. ask questions but done tell them they are wrong. they have to grow up thier way.


one question. did you force them into your religion every week?


rmember it could be worse, they could be street trash with a drug habit
i am no parent, but would treat my child no different, nobody would be to blame, i would back off and let them make up their own mind, i honestly wouldn't know what to think, and YES i would still love my child
-How would you treat them? The same.





-Who do you blame? No one.





-What would you do? Nothing.





-What would you think? Their choice.





-Would you still love your child? DUH!
i did change i was a moman and if they picked this i would be like oh crap


1) the same


2) no one


3) ask them to rally think about it


4) no i wouldnt yes i am teasing
- I would treat them no differently





- Why would there be blame?





- nothing. maybe ask questions but that's about it





- I'd hope they were happy with their decision





- Of course!
Children like all humans, need to search religion for themselves at some point in their lives.

No comments:

Post a Comment