Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Parents- What family traditions did you pass on or start?

I was just wondering how many families really have traditions that go from one generation to another, or if each family as made has thier own and the old ones get forgotten.Parents- What family traditions did you pass on or start?
A tradition that I started that my family did not, is to have a keepsake box, my parents as soon as I moved out, threw away anything and everything.





For my kids I have their first pics, first letters they've written (alphabet), their first quilt for the crib, first toy etc plus I wrote a journal while I was pregnant (and what a journey it was with my last born), wrote down all my fears, joys and thoughts of them and my wishes for them for the future. I always wished I'd had something handed down in my family and bc I didn't I wanted to start it now.





Another tradition is every xmas eve, we have a big feast of homemade hor'deuves, appetizers, treats and cookies that I start making at noon and we eat all day long, listen to xmas music and watch movies as well play games---the kids look forward to that as much as the big day.





edit--actually so do we :) I always wanted decos for the tree to have passed down...my husbands family does that, we've done the same thing--bought a special ornament that reflects what they're like or who they are like or what they're into --I did the journal bc I want my kids to think of me as ''human''---it's something that I lacked seeing in my parents, making mistakes and owning upto them etc.Parents- What family traditions did you pass on or start?
Well , I'm not a parent yet ( I'm 19 weeks pregnant ). My boyfriend and I don't actually have any family traditions, But we want to implement some.. ie create new ones ! Some of the traditions we want to have are:


1. going out as a family every year to cut down an xmas tree


2. decorating the Christmas tree together


3. creating a special holiday that is just our family and no one else that happens once a year , like , Rivera Lobster Fest ! or something like that ...


4. Celebrate ethnic holidays like st pattys day and teaching the kids about their heritage .. with food and culture
well on my side of the family we don't have any my family really isn't very family oriented so there are none from there,on my hubby's side there are a few like the night before christmas they read christmas stories to all the kids,for halloween my MIL makes a bunch of finger foods and she lets the kids name them whatever they want like mini corn dogs would be frankin fingers grapes would be eyeballs!!! It is so cute,I plan to carry that one on.With my daughter I plan to make a Hope chest and have her give it to her daughter or DIL and then her daughter and so and so on.
we have a lot of xmas traditions that stem from back home in australia.


i make ice cream Christmas cake and have a bbq and go to the beach. Its nice having something from back home to bring to a new country.
We make sure the majority of our cultural/religious traditions have been carried on through our family - it's been important to us, and now they are important to this next generation.

No comments:

Post a Comment