Friday, November 25, 2011

How many parents out there really sleep with their babies?

I know books and doctors say its not safe to sleep in the same bed as your child, but i'm wondering, how many out there really do sleep in the same bed as their babies. And how long did it last?How many parents out there really sleep with their babies?
I did, and still do on some nights. I started when my son was 6 weeks and we transitioned him to his crib when he was 6 months. Now I only put him in bed with my when he refuses to sleep in his crib. He's been having trouble the past week or so and has ended up in my bed.How many parents out there really sleep with their babies?
I do co-sleep but didn't start to until 6months or so. There are the positioners that keep the baby from rolling over. I used those but in the pack in play. I've read that once they can turn over byselves they are in longer danger of SIDS. I always heard that co-sleeping doesn't cause SIDS either.





I think it's up to the parents if they want to co-sleep or not. I really wish I didn't cause it's harder now for her to go to sleep on her own.
Many parents co-sleep. In Western culture we tend to go underground to avoid criticism. It's the easiest way to breastfeed a newborn, who wants to get out of a warm bed in the middle of winter! We have with both our children and they are both confident and secure children.





My son chose his own bed when he was 4 1/2, in hindsight I think co-sleeping really helped with his Asperger's syndrome as it developed his ability to enjoy physical contact more so than many of his peers. My daughter is still co-sleeping at 3+.





For safety resons you wouldn't do it if the parents were under the influence of alcohol or legal/illicit drugs or had a serious illness which effected their ability to be aware of their child while asleep.
I do when he needs to (sometimes he'll sleep in his co-sleeper next to the bed instead of in my arms next to me). he's 5 weeks old and I'll stop when he's ready. it is safe because they regulate their breathing with yours, which reduces the likelihood of SIDS and sleep apnea. everyone should try it - try napping with your baby while you're awake and you'll see their breathing matches yours when they're deep asleep.
The doctor that I followed wholeheartedly recommended the family bed. We did it and LOVED it. My husband was all for it. There were some rough nights but all in all, you definitely feel closer as a family and little ones tend to feel safer with mom and dad right there and therefore sleep better. You could do a smaller bed right next to yours if you think that would work better. Sex isn't a problem either. They're not in bed with you 24/7! If you do the family bed, put a covered guard rail up and have baby sleep between guardrail and mom instead of between mom and dad. Much safer that way. As far as how long it lasts? It varies for people. We allowed ours in our room until they were about 4. That doesn't mean they were in our bed...just in our bedroom - whether on a mattress on the floor or in a separate bed in our room. I have great memories of our kids sleeping in our room! You will too! Enjoy it!
My daughter sleeps with me part-time. She goes to bed in her crib, and when she wakes up the first time, whenever that may be, she is in bed with me the rest of the night. This allows us both to get back to sleep quicker.





Unlike most, we have a full-size bed so I can't usually sleep side by side. Plus that's uncomfortable to nurse that way for me. My daughter lays across me and I have always done pretty well at staying on my back. I recently bought a mesh rail for the bed so there are no accidents since she moves around a lot. Although she now pulls herself up so when she wakes up in the morning I have to be up before she flies over the edge lol.





When she was little I nursed in bed with her a lot but because I kept falling asleep I quit. Then once she got more ';self-sufficient'; with her movements we started again especially since she wasn't sleeping well from teething. We both sleep better the 2nd half of the night if she is with me than if I keep putting her back down after nursing. She's 8 months now.
I always said, I will never let my child sleep in my bed! Untill i had my second child. She was the worst sleeper ever, she would wake up every hour if in her crib. I couldnt take it any more and just let her sleep with us. I needed sleep and she slept like a baby when she was with me. She is 3 and still doenst sleep well in her own bed. I would say 3-4 days a week she comes to our bed to sleep but starte out in her own bed.
We still do at 10 months. We have the bed and crib attached to each other. A lot of the time, our son ends up taking up the bed and his daddy and I squeeze onto the couch at night. I'm trying to make it now to where we move him over into the crib area when we feel like going to bed so we can all share a sleep space.
I do.


Since about 4 weeks to current, he;s 8 months.





I have seen 3 different dr's with my son. The first, my family doctor, said that we are one of the few countries in the world who do not believe in co-sleeping but never codoned or condemned it.


The second, a partner of my doctor gave me a long lecture on the risks of co=sleeping. So.....he says no.


The 3rd, one of the toppediatricians in the midwest, also was a ped. in Europe, has never said anything about it one way or the other except that it might explain his frequent night nursings.





It's what worked for us and I was very against it.





Add: I have, in the beginning, woke up to find my son with the blanket pulled over him and a few times with my back turned to him. I get very little and light sleep with him in the bed but it's stitll better than the zero sleep I was gettin gwith him in his crib or bassinet.
many people slept with thier children even babies when the babies were sick. that is not a question of safety unless they do not know what they are doing. some of my family would sleep with them just because there were no crib and if they were breastfeeding. i can not see why that would be a problem of course my mother always said she would sleep better if we were not in the bed with her but then if we were sick then it was the other way around. if a person sleeps soundly it is not wise to do this. if they are taking meds that cause them to sleep so that it is hard for them to be woke up.
I sleep in bed with my babies. One pediatrician we had actually approved and pointed out that most of the world sleeps with their children. With my daughter, it lasted about six months or so and then I had to move her to her crib because I was pregnant and needed the room. My son is three weeks old and once he wake up from his initial put down, I bring him to bed with me.
I have slept with my babies. The plan was that they would sleep in their own beds but after those late night feedings it was just so nice to fall back to sleep with them next to me.After they were able to crawl around i was able to rest without fear of rolling on them.My kids would crawl into bed with me until they were about 8
Both of our sons slept in the bed with us when they were infants. Once they were around 6 months old they slept in a cosleeper thing right against the bed or in normal bassinet at least a few nights a week and the rest of the time in our bed. They went to their own rooms and cribs around 14/15 months. I think since they were used to sleeping in the bassinet already they both switched to their own crib/room very easily.





This is very similar to the cosleeper we used I'm not sure what you call these exactly?


http://www.amazon.com/gp/customer-media/…
I do! I love cuddling with my baby at night... and he loves sleeping with his mommy so it works out. He's 2 months old... and we will continue to do so until he consistently sleeps throughout the night and he can move to his own bed. I'm a light sleeper so i dont worry about rolling over on him.
Yep! We do. Our daughter co-slept for about 2 years. Her transition to her own bed went incredibly smoothly.





Our son is 10 months. He goes down in the crib, and when he wakes up for his feed, I bring him in with us. We'll handle the transition with our son the same as we did with our daughter.





I hope this helps!
I am currently still co-sleeping with my daughter, and she is 27mo. Daddy is deployed at the moment, so there's never been a real reason to change that..and frankly, both of us get a great night's sleep.





When he comes home (in two weeks...Yay!) we might try her toddler bed, but it won't be pushed, and if she's not ready, that's okay too.
I slept with my daughter from age 2 months to 5.5 months. It was very unsafe for ME. I was always worrying about her suffocating. She sleeps in a mini crib next to my bed and that works out much better. I sleep much better now knowing that she's safe.
We do, most of the time, since he was 2months old





Whenever we want time alone or to sleep more comfortably he's moved to his own bed but he likes to sleep with us, so we let him.





He's 13mo and we've never had a problem
My sister and my husband like co-sleeping, but I can't because I'm too worried I'll squish the baby. On the other hand, they worry when the baby is too far away from them... a very personal question with polarized opinions from the experts!
we did for at least the first 6 months, then moved to the pack and play in our room, then finally to her crib. she still comes in for snuggles around 4 am--she just turned 1 yr.
My son is four months old now and sleeps with me every night since he was born. I feel more safe knowing that he is right next to me if anything happens.
I do in the morning when my husband leaves. Just some cuddle time between mommy and baby.
Our daughter slept in bed with us usually half of the night from birth until about 5 months
We practice bed sharing in our family. Our daughter slept with us until a year old. :)
  • skin
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment