Friday, July 30, 2010

What should we provide for our parents at our wedding?

We are getting married at the Grand Canyon, and the only people there besides us will be my father and his mother. I guess it's more of an elopement than anything else, but they are traveling out to act as witnesses.





We are planning on having us all go to dinner at a nice restaurant nearby, which FH and I intend on paying for.





My question is; they are both going to have to stay in town that night- should FH and I book/pay for their rooms for them? Should we give some sort of appreciation gift? What is the etiquette on this?What should we provide for our parents at our wedding?
You can do as you see fit. I would certainly pay for their rooms if it were me and I would give a small gift and handwritten letter of thanks as well.





Good luck!What should we provide for our parents at our wedding?
I don't know what FH stands for, but what I get from your question is should you pay for your father and his mother's hotel room. My answer is no - if you we're having a big wedding, would you pay for the room then? When I got married, we paid (because we were able to) for certain guests who couldn't pay, mainly the college students who were in the wedding. But if they can afford it, then why should you?





As for the appreciation gift, it's called wedding favors. Something small, like chocolate in my opinion would be enough. But since your wedding is informal, I also don't think you're required to give any favor.





Do you feel you need to give them a gift just because they're traveling? Don't feel guilty about that. If they didn't want to pay for it, then they wouldn't go.





Congrats!
I think finance has a big part in this decision. If it was a big expenditure for either to come out - then pick up their rooms for sure. They may be cashing in their own vacation funds for this! If they're both ok financially, then a better gesture would be sentimental rather than monetary. Maybe you could purchase them one of those 30min helicopter/plane rides over/through the canyon. Or some other sort of touristy event. Make this a mini-vacation for them rather than them just having to travel a long way to watch you say ';i do';.
I think it really depends on your parents ability to pay. If they do not have all of this extra money, i'd offer to at least split the cost of the room. If they are good with money, then i'm sure it's fine for them to pay. I guess to be safe, you could at least talk to them about. Now gift wise, you're getting married, so you don't need to get them a gift. I'm sure they are happy enough to be included in this happy moment.


Congrats!
Usually you give the parents a gift anyway so definitely do that.





It would be a nice gesture to pay for their rooms. If it's not too expensive and they can afford it just let them pay though. They are honored to be there and at least you are not asking them for $20,000 for a ';typical'; wedding.





They are getting off easy!
If your parents can't afford the lodging, offer to pay if it's in your budget. If you can't, then I'm sure they understand, and don't expect anything of you. I don't think it's necessary to give them gifts. (Actually, I would think that they would give you and your betrothed a something!)





Congratulations, and good luck.
I'd say if you have the money then you should pay for the rooms. Dinner is good but i don't think you have to get them a gift. A book of pictures is a good thank you. That's what i got for my mom and she enjoys showing it off.
It would be very nice to pay for their room and travel. I went to the jewelry store and bought really nice picture frames for my parents and in-laws and then gave them a picture of the event. They all really liked it.
Sweetie, they will probably refuse any major gratuity.





Maybe offer to pay for a dinner one night. They will be glad to pay for their own room, etc.


They will view it as YOUR day, and won't be worried about being taken care of.
Well typically the brides parents pay for the wedding so really I would think that they would pick up the tab.
If ya can afford to book a room for them and, buy them a nice dinner. What else could they want ? ? ?
its your wedding, your day. you shouldnt need to do anything for anyone else except marry your fiance
Definatly pay for the rooms
Get them a mule ride to the base of the canyon and a tent.
Some delicious cake and some party gifts.
Yes, pay for their accommodations and whatever you do, do not present them with a new baby.





Congrats and good luck
Yes, some hookers. They'll love it!!!
some wine
get them what you feel is right :)

No comments:

Post a Comment