Friday, July 30, 2010

What is the best way to tell my parents I attempted suicide?

No one in my family knows whats going on. Even my friends know very little. Although I am not obligated to tell my parents (in my 20s) my therapist thinks its a good idea. I don't think it is. Is there any easy way to tell them?What is the best way to tell my parents I attempted suicide?
Yes, it is a good idea, especially if you think they won't overreact.


Think if you were a parent, would you want to know?! I'm a parent and a grandparent of 4, and I sure would!





Write down what you want to say. Simple is good. Get them together and say (a suggestion): ';Mom, Dad, I tried to commit suicide.'; Believe me, it's very likely after the shock wears off, they'll take it from there.





Best wishes.


And, please don't do that again. You life can change in a day, for the better, you never know. But you never will if you wind up prematurely dead. I'll bet you're a nice person--have you messed up? Sure, we all have. But think, you could live long enough to help a lot of people and be a tremendous blessing to them. You never know, until it happens.What is the best way to tell my parents I attempted suicide?
Awe, how sad, learning this here, I don't even know you...but honesty is the beginning steps to healing. Not all steps forward are easy, but embrace your courage and be proud of yourself for doing something to address your circumstance/s. You've obviously been overwhelmed for some time to have attempted harming self. If I were there with you, i'd just have to give you a big hug and reassure you everything will be okay. Follow your therapist's advice. An option you also have, is to inform your family doctor about your situation, he/she may be able to help you as to how to approach your parents about telling them. Consider also having a full physical while you are there, and inform him/her about who the therapist is, that you are seeing. It is a team effort on the road to healing. Your family doctor will also be able to provide you with the best treatment that is available. You've come this far...way to go! Don't quit now! Here's to cheering you on forward towards the road to recovery, hope that helps, thanks for asking.
If you intend to tell them, there's really no ';best or worst'; way. Just be aware of the circumstances, I suppose. Don't tell them when they are agitated or frustrated about something else, or when they are preoccupied with something.





Tell your parents that ';I'd like to talk to you about something personal.'; Set a time to do so.





There's the option of telling one parent, who could then diffuse the information to the other. If you have a problem confronting both parents at the same time (can be nerve wracking and slightly intimidating), this might not be such a bad idea.





About telling your parents at all: to be honest, it depends on your parents, the kind of people they are, their personalities, etc.. Ideally, one should be able to openly communicate these kinds of issues to his/her parents, although it does take a bit of mental effort and courage for anyone. Some parents will try to help you, and then some would shun you. I speak from experience -- no, I was never suicidal, but I've always had a hard time coming to my parents in general when it came to talking about ';my feelings.'; Every time I try to tell them something like this, they just freak out and tell me to get out of their rooms. I've tried telling them over and over again, but I've given up because I don't want to take them to their breaking point where they might do something drastic, like kick me out of the home altogether. They don't want to hear about my problems. They just want to hear about and take credit for my achievements, and then put the blame on me when everything goes wrong. I've given up altogether.





I have a feeling that MAYBE, you're going through the same things. Some parents are open to ANY communication, some are not. You have to evaluate the benefits and downfalls of telling your parents, and then make an informed decision. It's not up to your therapist, it's up to you. You're in the best seat to make this judgment call.





Good luck, I hope it all works out.
It is a personal decision. If you think it is a bad idea, I would venture to guess that it is.





If you find an urge to tell them, but fear the reaction I would think it a good idea to tell them.





If you don't have an urge to tell them, then don't...it could lead to an overreaction and an unwanted change in the relationship you have with them and/or how other perceive you. Even if you have moved on and are comfortable with yourself now people will never see suicide as a trivial thing.
there's no easy way to tell them but start off by telling them exactly how you've been feeling and then whay led u to want to commit suicide. I'm so glad that you chose not to end your life. You are sooooo young and there is still so much to experience %26amp; enjoy.
begin with what lead you to the feelings of despair explain how you saw no other recourse then apologize for not trusting them and yourself GL
There is no easy way. I dont know. Really.

No comments:

Post a Comment